orth Bend Plantation was built in 1801 by John Minge in historic Charles City County for his wife Sarah Harrison, the sister of William Henry Harrison, the ninth president of the United States. The current owner, George F. Copland, is a descendant of William Henry and Sarah Harrison.
In 1864, thirty thousand Federal troops camped in the area of North Bend causing the owner, Thomas Wilcox, to leave for Belle Air Plantation. Mr. Wilcox never returned. Union General Phillip Sheridan headquartered at North Bend while his troops built a pontoon bridge across the James River. The desk used by General Sheridan remains at North Bend today.
North Bend Plantation is considered the best preserved and purest expression of the academic Greek Revival Style in Charles City County, Virginia.
North Bend is a spacious 6,000 square foot Virginia Historic Landmark and National Register featuring original antiques, rare books, old dolls and a rich Civil War history.
Spacious bed chambers feature canopy beds, antiques and private baths. Three large porches offer magnificent vistas of the surrounding fields and countryside, including the 850 acres remaining under cultivation.
Guests can enjoy billiards in the game room or rare books in the living room; there’s also croquet, volleyball and horse shoes to go along with the swimming pool on site.
The full breakfast served in the dining room features heirloom
china and silver.