he area of North Bend Plantation was first occupied by the Weanoc Indians. The earliest known owner of the land is recorded as Christina (Shields) Minge. The property passed to Christina’s son, John Minge (1770-1827). The original portion of North Bend was constructed in 1801 in the Federal style as the home of John and his wife, Sarah Harrison (1770-1822), the sister of President William Henry Harrison. The main house at North Bend survives today as the best preserved and purest expression of the Academic Greek Revival Style in Charles City County.
The National Register property and it’s 850 acres is home to and remain under cultivation by George Forbes Copland II, descendant of William Henry Harrison, 9th US President and or Edmund Ruffin, noted agriculturist and Southerner who fired the first shot of the Civil War at Fort Sumter, April 1961. Edmund Ruffin is also known as the father of agriculture in America.
Self Guided Tour Of The Grounds And
Dependencies Of North Bend include:
Smoke House c. 1819 - which contains the original salt box hand hewn by North Bend slaves.
Dairy House c.1819 - with it’s original design, cyma (“s” shaped slots) allowing air to circulate and eaves to provide shade.
Old Well c. 1800 - well cover and shelter rebuilt in 1995.
Ice House c. 1819 - now defunct but exists ad an unroofed pit 15ft. wide and 15ft. deep giving a good view of it’s curious brickwork. It is laid in all header bond without mortar. Featured in al article on Ice Houses, January 16th, 1999 by Michael Olmert as being one of the finest collections of early ice houses in the world.
Slave Quarter Site - with history of burials, marriages, baptisms and funerals of some of North Bend’s slaves and overseers. Research continues today to locate the history of all the people of North Bend.
Site Of 1853 Cook House
The Gardens And Grounds Of North Bend
are open daily from 9am - 5pm.
Special Guided House Tours by owners, which include two floors, are available by advance reservation.
North Bend’s Furnishings include family heirlooms, original antiques, old dolls, rare books, china and family history connecting to the other James River Plantations of Charles City - Belle Air, Berkeley, Edgewood, Evelynton, Piney Grove, Sherwood Forest, Shirley and Westover.